Members Weigh In

MWI on Smartphone Habits and Needs

Here in the Crowdtap office, most of us think of our smartphones as an extension of our bodies. They help us keep up with our emails, stay on top of our daily schedules, and send our BFFs frowny-face selfies during frustrating moments. As for land lines? Well, most people we casually queried around the office seemed confused about where to go to even get one hooked up.

We were curious if these traits were universal among our members. Think the stats will stack up similarly? Read on to find out.

94% of members stated they had a smartphone. However, that didn’t mean that they were as ready to part with their landlines as the Crowdtap employee contingent. 39% of those surveyed stated that they still have a home phone.

When it came to typical smartphone uses, communication was top priority.

By far the most common use for smartphones (50%) was keeping in touch with loved ones through calls and texts. Social networking was a distant second, with 26% of members stating it was their primary way to use their smartphone. Unlike most of us here at Crowdtap HQ, members didn’t find productivity apps like email and calendar too necessary. A mere 7% stated this was their phone’s primary purpose. Also in the single digit club: gaming, website browsing, and external messaging apps.

When we asked members to describe their relationships to their smartphones, opinions were split between those that considered them a toy, a tool, and a straight-up addiction.

In fact, members were so into their phones that when asked which additional features they wished smartphones had, the majority were unable to come up with a response.

“My phone has all the features I can imagine” stated Milli Rani S., 27. “My phone has everything I want on it as of right now”, echoed Caral J, 37. “It’s perfect”, agreed Travis T., 43.

Most of the suggestions that did come up had to do with improving the phone’s usability — not it’s feature set.

Solar-powered charging, WiFi charging, and a built-in second battery pack were all common suggestions.

An easier way to locate a lost phone around the house was also a frequently mentioned wish, as was more effective voice recognition technology.

Finally, a few users chose to truly dream big with their suggestions:

“The ability to mute the sound around me. I know it sounds like a super power, but I would love to be able to make everyone just shut up when I want to!” – Adriann H, 34

“Ability to teleport please!” -Donna, 29

“Would be nice if it could see into the future” -Annie, 32

“Unlikely, but it would be so great if we could print food from our phones.” -Dan,47

AGREED, DAN. We’d be printing out this beauty below right now.
V

We know you miss the weekend, but it’s time to take back Monday morning breakfast. 📷: @ibitefood

A post shared by Tasting Table (@tastingtable) on

What’s your take? Are you phone frenzied or constantly looking to unplug? Let us know in the comments below!

greg buck

I’m in the middle. I’ll unplug at various times.

Elaine B.

Same here, and too many wrong nets or telemarketers

Chris

Cell Phone, it’s ok, I treat it as if it were our landline phone. Answer only calls that I know and leave the rest to leave me a message.

Corey Richards

I’m always on my phone, it’s more of a security blanket

Tara Depka

In the middle. I have a love hate relationship with my phone!

Sabreena

I don’t know how long I’d last without my ohone

Sabreena

Nice read

Brooke

I’m phone frenzied! I use my phone for everything, but I do unplug to spend time with my family.

L.Kilgore

I agree with you Brooke! I love my phone and use it a lot during a typical day, but during the evening, especially during school, the kids have a cut off time and so do my husband and I. The kids all put phones on charger station (out of room) and adults put them on silent so we can enjoy family time. I think having a charging station out of kids rooms (for all devices) is a great idea and having do not disturb setting on the parents phone and having them not in their hands provides a good example. On weekends we tell kids to take breaks from phones or else they’ll be glued to phones! But, very thankful that they have them and keep them as close as possible so when they’re away from house, we can check in with them anytime, we didn’t have that as teenagers, only in early twenties did we have them!

Caitlyn Kidle

My phone is an extra limb for me lol

Diana Sypolt

I have to have my cell phone, there isn’t a cell phone anonymous is there? 🤣 I would be lost without mine. I gave up my landline years ago, it went out more than my cell does.

Christine Sickley

I think solar power charging, built in second battery, If you’re hiking or walking the trails It should have an emergency alert or heart attack

L.Kilgore

That’s a great idea, kind of like the alert button with the famous line “Help! I’ve fallen and can’t get up!” would be useful for so many things! I’d also love a way to find my phone without using another phone, for the many times I’ve lost it! The kids phones would always be nice to place a hidden app on them to locate them exactly, not just an area, when not at home!

starla

love my smart phone its everything literally lol

Di

Use my phone mainly for distraction

Jordan Kyles

I do a lot of web browsing on my phone. I can live without it but would really miss it.

Edith baker

I keep my landline phone. Don’t get good Mobil services for talking. Only five bucks a month more. My cell I use for things like this.

Erica

I use my
Smartphone as a distraction most often for apps and web use. I also text to keep in touch with family and friends!

Joanna

When my mate is home, I definitely unplug.
I use my phone for contact and my thrifty side, making those extra $ and shopping for deals!

Krista

Mobile devices are the way to go!

Cathy Walter

Cell phones are great, but when they disrupt our daily lives then I think people need to take a reality check. Like at the dinner table. No place for cell phones. I have a sister-in law that just can’t put it down. So Rude!

Jessica

I don’t use my phone at work.. I check a few thing when I get home. Or play a couple games I try not to stay glued to the phone .. dont want to end up a zombie lol

Jessica PETTIS

O believe not kuchar good has come fromb5heze.I gatev th gst everyone is always looking at a mobile device

jen

Where I live there is ONE landline provider which is not cable. You can argue with them to get a stand alone but they bundle it with internet and also with satellite tv. The standalone landline after all taxes is $45. A landline will work in a power outage providing you have an old school corded phone but your cell will work in a power outage too and have internet, if you have a smart phone. We dropped our landline 2 yrs ago and haven’t missed it.

Laurie Miller

My cell phone is always by my side. I do not have a landline due to the long distance cost and so many annoying robo calls.

Donna Freeman

I would be list without my smartphone ….I can access the web

Jo combs

I don’t think i could survive without my smartphone i use ir for everything. I set my Dr. Appointments up with it and it’s my alarm clock i use it for thw news its my day planer its my whole life in my phone i love my phone.

Stephanie

I don’t have a landline just a cell phone.

Stephanie LaRosa

I love to be plugged in. I am a newcomer to social media outlets. I love to read reviews on things I am curious about or have little knowledge of. I love to see how people have various options about products and aspects on life. I also love how I can Voice my opinion as well.

Stephanie LaRosa

My cellphone has my life in it… scary isn’t it.

Debbie

I use my phone mostly for long distance. I still have a landline, in case of emergencies. However, yes true they bundle with internet and cable tv.

Michelle

I have a land line because of my package for internet and tv being cheaper that way.

Celeste

I have a landline because of the bundle price, but we never use it. There isn’t even a phone hooked up to it.