Tastemaker Feed

Tastemaker Feed: Making It Through Mornings

Perhaps—like us—you’ve learned that a Monday morning feeling can last you until Wednesday. Thursday, even, in some cases. It’s not like you don’t look forward to your week, but that morning drowsiness is hard to shake on a daily basis. After all, what’s better than disappearing into cozy pillows and soft sheets for just another few minutes?

All of us have probably employed various tactics to help us pretend we are, in fact, morning people. Maybe it was putting your alarm on the opposite side of your room so you had to fully emerge from bed to turn it off. Perhaps you’ve stocked the fridge with delicious food galore, so that you had breakfast smoothies and beautiful omelets to look forward to.

What we’re saying is, all of our many morning attempts are just as unique as we are. So, in this edition of Tastemaker Feed, we took a peek at how some of our trusted Influencers customize their mornings. Here’s what we found.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 4.29.45 PM“I’ve said it once and I’ll say it a million times, I am not a morning person. Never was and honestly don’t think I will ever be. But mornings are not without hope. I am not a natural morning lover but I have created patterns and habits that awaken the love for the new day in me… and also just awake me.

My alarm goes off twice without fail. It is set for 4 alarms but I’m pretty good about getting up before they all go off. I fumble down the stairs and head straight to make myself coffee. Before anything else, coffee is what begins my day. I stand in the kitchen or curl back up on the couch holding my coffee. The house is always quiet at that time. And when it is summer I sit on the back porch and listen to the birds sing.
It is slow. The coffee is hot. And not much else is required of me.”

-Elizabeth, Oak and Oats

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 4.37.04 PM
“I’m not a morning person. There I said it. I loathe getting up early. I’m guilty of hitting snooze one too many times. And I have the hardest time making myself get into bed at a decent hour. I much prefer staying up late, sleeping in, and then pressing repeat the next day. But over the last couple of years of being my own boss, I’ve worked my hardest to wake up earlier than my norm. Not quite the 6 or 7 a.m. wakeup times that I wish I could manage but more like 9 or 10 a.m.

The biggest help for me in that area? Quick and easy morning routines. First and foremost, food and coffee upon waking up. When it comes to food I’m trying my hardest to eat every morning, no matter how busy I am. My go-tos include Green Smoothies and English Muffins with Almond Butter and Blueberries. Both quick and easy, but also healthy and filling.”

– Josh, The Kentucky Gent

Sounds like all of us not-morning-people are in good company! How do you guys get yourself up and out of bed in the mornings? Share your woes and inspirations with us below.

Basya

Interesting and helpful writing

Suzie

I have a sleep disorder so I generally dont fall asleep until about 4 am then wakeup a 6 for work. Work is what gets me up after hitting snooze a couple of times

Peggy

I have amazing toast and oats and eggs with fruit for breakfast.

Rich

Like many things in life that are important to you, you have to make the commitment and adjustments needed to get what and where you want.

Lindsey Schafer

I am definitely not a morning person at all!! I set my alarm for 6:00 am to get my kids up and ready to leave for school. As soon as they are out the door, I go back to bed for a few more hours. The first thing that I do when I get back out of bed is put the coffee pot on because let’s face it, I can’t function without it! I also have to make something for breakfast whether if it’s just a bowl of cereal or bacon and eggs. After that I go about my day doing whatever I had planned for the day.

Laurie Miller

Good article, interesting tips.

Amy

I wish I could be a morning person, but I’m just not no matter how early I go to bed. I’m just a night owl

Christine Sickley

I definitely hate waking up in, I can steep all day but I have things to do like physical therapy I know I can’t miss & housework.
I can’t miss making pot coffee my husband makes me breakfast

Kristy

I get my clothes ready the night before. I take a quick shower, throw some makeup on, and make a cup of coffee while eating a bowl of cereal. All told, it takes me 30-45 minutes to get out the door in the morning.

Mindi Canull

If I have something planned for day,it makes mornings alot better.After being sick and not wanting to see people or doing anything,I almost get excited to get up and do something for me.

Erica

Setting my coffee pot to go off at 6am so I can have coffee as soon as I wake up! Makes getting out of bed so much easier!

Mary

Excellent I love the tips

Sheryl

I rush rush rush in the morning. I also have the alarm on opposite side of bed to force me to get up and out! Walk dog, shower, dress and drag daughter out door to school. Always bring breakfast to work with me- fruit and yogurt on most days.

Bonnie Arnold

Great Ideas — love the sitting outside early mornings. Those early morning rays and a cup of hot tea and praying really are a great way for me to start my mornings. Those early morning rays also are full of vitamin D and good things for the body.

Henrietta

Most people are coffee people, I am all about having my cup of hot chocolate! Maybe it’s my way of keeping in touch with my inner child – you know when we actually liked waking up in the morning.

Nora Melgoza

Great tips. I’m a semi- morning person. Coffee is my best friend on those hard to get up days.

Mary Ann Wolfe

Yay!! NMP’S (not morning people) unite!! From the darkness of closets, to the darkness of the evenings that we love!! Night owls join together!! Lol

denia

I simply wake up ready for the day because that’s what i need to do but having a delicious breakfast or frappuccino helps too!